3.08.2006

The Hospital

Today was my last official day as a hospital chaplain intern at Huntington Memorial Hospital. I got a nifty little certificate and everything. I learned a lot while I was there. Spending time each week with people facing some of the toughest times in their lives gave me a different perspective on my own life. Those things that normally stress me out just don't seem like that big of a deal. I don't take things for granted as much as I used to. Seeing all the people facing sudden life-changing illnesses or death that they were not counting on has helped me remember that my ordered, controlled, pleasant life can easily collapse at any time. It is only by God's grace that it is the way it is.

I was surprised at how open the patients were to discussing spiritual matters. I saw people who were dying of cancer, crippled, depressed, paralyzed, diseased, mentally ill, and nauseated. They all were ready and willing to talk about God, and their relationship with Him. If anything, they were usually frustrated because their families and the rest of the hospital staff were uncomfortable talking about anything spiritual. The hospital has a way of opening up those doors that our culture likes to avoid and keep shut.
The reminder of our own mortality is a wonderful thing. It helps us keep our priorities straight. It reminds us of what is eternal, and what is not. It causes us to push aside all questions but one: why am I here? These past ten weeks I've seen God, by his Holy Spirit, pierce through the darkness and sadness that usually surrounds such a question, and bring light and hope through the power of His love.
I've now experienced the greatest theological tension of all. The sovereign God who holds all of life together is also present with us in our suffering and pain that works against life. I can't resolve the tension. All I can say is, "He is the way, the truth, and the life."

1 comment:

Sarah Nadine said...

This is a fantastic summary of your experience. I think you should expand it a bit and send it to a magazine. :o) For reals.