3.22.2006

Excited, Nervous, Scared, and Hopeful

Yes!!!...???
I just received an official letter of acceptance from the University of Wales at Bangor for a PhD in the department of Theology and Religious Studies. I have 21 days to accept or decline the offer. I would begin doing my thesis in the area of Pentecostal and Charismatic Studies under the tutelage of Dr. William Kay and Dr. Glenn Balfour in September.
The program would be part-time for the next four years. I would not need to move to the UK; I would just visit once or twice per year for about 2 weeks at a time. In the UK system, PhD degrees do not involve any classes or exams. Your degree is decided solely on the basis of an oral and written presentation of the thesis. This means that the program is much cheaper than a comparable one in the US and requires less time.
This is the big news I've been waiting for, and now I'm nervous about it. More school!? I've already been in school for quite a long time. On the one hand, I know that God does not require any formal education for a person to be effective in ministry. On the other hand, I see the great benefit in thoroughly examining one's faith; a benefit that has not always been recognized by Pentecostals. I asked God to help this not to work out if I wasn't supposed to do it, and it has been anything but "not working out". I don't know what the Lord is preparing me for through all this education, but as Heather and I pray and seek His guidance we're sensing that I should pursue this program in Wales as far as it can go.
Please pray for us as we look to the Lord for wisdom and guidance.

1 comment:

Sarah Nadine said...

Wow, this is really fantastic!! What exciting news. :o) I will be praying for you and heather to have all the wisdom you need and the energy for more school if that is where He is leading you. Someone's got to study this stuff. I agree with what you said about examining and really knowing what you're into. Christians value history too little, yet the Bible is replete with instruction about remember what He has done and who He is. Congratulations on your acceptance to the school in wales!! What a really cool opportunity :O)